For Producers & Sellers

Hay for Tender Opportunities 

Ducks Unlimited (DUC) is offering over 3,000 acres to producers across Manitoba for haying opportunities. All revenue generated from the tendering of these lands is reinvested into conservation programs in the province. For more information, contact Robin Hamilton at 204-729-3500, email: or click on the links below:

Shipping Hay to the U.S.

The Basics of Marketing Cash Hay (published June 2006)

Commercial Transport

A commercial transport is the most economical form of shipping to the U.S. Often, truckers who have hauled a load into Canada are looking for a back haul – something to create revenue on the way back – and costs can be surprisingly low.

However, there can be drawbacks. Trucks may not always be available when you need them, and some truckers may refuse to ship hay because of load shifting and fire hazards. As well, open loads must be tarped in the U.S. – and some truckers are not willing to do this. Others may not be willing to load and unload, or may be late for loading and delivery. Often, too, there are problems getting the transport into small driveways.

It’s a good practice to check the references of the trucker. Some producers have run into problems with truckers who are interested only in quick cash, and not in providing the kind of service that will result in repeat business.


More often than not, using rail to ship hay directly to a client is too costly – unless the load goes to a major distribution centre. However, a piggyback system – sending a loaded flat deck van/trailer via train to a major centre and then trucking it from there – is a feasible option for long hauls. Contact CNR or CPR for more details.

Hauling On Your Own

If you are able to invest in a highway tractor-trailer unit, or you have access to one, hauling your own hay can be an option. It provides the opportunity for face-to-face marketing and personalized service that will ensure the customer is satisfied. However, vehicles with farm plates are restricted from back hauling, thus making very long distances uneconomical because you cannot create revenue on the way back. One advantage, at least, is that there is no duty on hay entering the U.S.

Hauling into the U.S. requires a number of pre-travel arrangements:
• a mileage log book (maximum driving time is 11 hours per day);
• a fuel log book;
• amber fuel (purple fuel is subject to a fine of up to $2,000);
• essential permits (see box on next page);
• U.S. dollars (recommended); and
• extra medical insurance (recommended).

For further details and driving regulations in the U.S., visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

U.S. Highway Regulations

• Over-dimension loads must be flagged with 18-inch square flags (red, orange or yellow).
• Mirrors must extend past load width.
• Each row of bales must be strapped from front to back.
• Night hauling of round bales or over-width loads in not permitted.
• In Minnesota: round bales must be hauled with flat sides facing front and back; over-width loads are only permissible at certain times of the year.
• Maximum gross vehicle weight is 80,000 pounds.
• Contact the transportation department of the state(s) you will be travelling through for further details regarding transportation regulations specific to that state.

Permits Required to Haul Hay in the U.S.

U.S. DOT Number

A DOT Number is required by each state’s Department of Transportation to ensure safety regulations are met.
• must be displayed on vehicle;
• no fee for farm-plated vehicles.

U.S. DOT Contact Information:
General Information Main Switchboard: (202) 366-4000 (Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm EST excluding Federal Holidays)

Minnesota: (651) 291-6150
North Dakota: (701) 250-4346.

IFTA Registration

IFTA Registration International Fuel Tax Agreement requires all carriers to register. Registration decal must be displayed on vehicle; registration must be carried in cab. Annual fee of $65 and $4 per set of decals.

Phone: (204) 945-3194 (Winnipeg) or 1-800-782-0318.

Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance Manitoba minimum is $1 million on tractor trailer units carrying non-dangerous goods. Some states require proof of liability insurance and additional coverage. Contact your MPIC agent. Manitoba Safety Inspection Vehicles must be safety inspected in Manitoba. Contact your MPIC agent for inspection outlets.

Medical Examination and Certificate

Certificate forms available from the Manitoba Trucking Association, 25 Bunting St., Winnipeg, R2X 2P5. Phone: 632-6600. Minnesota Hay Permit (over-width/overweight loads) Annual fee of $24 U.S. per bale type, or $20 per trip (five days).

Phone: (651) 405-6000. North Dakota Hay Permit (over-width/overweight loads) Permit only required for out-of-dimension loads. Seasonal fee of $50, or $20 per trip.
Phone: (701) 328-2621.

NAFTA Certificate

NAFTA Certificate Cost of $25 per year. Requires services of a customs broker; check the yellow pages. Drug Testing Card Required by truckers in order to cross the U.S. border.

Call (204) 633-7439 (Winnipeg) for information. Permits Required by the U.S. Bioterrorism Act To protect the country from threat of international terrorism, the U.S. Bioterrorism Act, which took effect December, 2003, requires the following: If you are brokering hay, you must register with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Registration of Food Facilities regulation. If you ship your own hay, and only yours, this is not required.

Whether you are a broker or an individual, you must give prior notice to the FDA before you ship.
phone: (301) 575-0156

Please note that the above information was accurate at the time this publication was printed, but may be subject to change.

Transporting Hay to the US with Farm Plated Trucks
(as per Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives website, June 2006:
Requirements vary from state to state, so phone ahead to avoid problems. Consider the following requirements when hauling hay into the United States with farm trucks: Personal Driver’s License – A U.S. medical certificate is required to drive in the U.S. Forms are obtained in person from the Manitoba Trucking Association (25 Bunting Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba – phone: 204-632-6600). A physical is required before the certificate is granted.

There is a $100.00 U.S. fine if caught without one. Medical Insurance – Obtain out-of-province coverage prior to entering the U.S. This is available at your General Insurance Agent. Cash – Carry U.S. cash. Log Books – Log books are required in the U.S. Maximum driving time in the U.S. is 10 hours per day. Permits U.S. D.O.T. no’s –

For safety regulations, carriers are required to register with the U.S. D.O.T. office: Minnesota: 612-291-6150 North Dakota: 701-250-4346 There is NO fee for farm plated vehicles, although D.O.T. numbers must be displayed on vehicles.

Fuel – Only amber fuel is allowed! The fine for carrying purple fuel can be up to $2000.00 U.S. The amount of the fine varies with the size of fuel tanks.

The carrier must register with the I.F.T.A. (International Fuel Trade Agreement) by calling (204) 945-3194 or 1-800-782-0318. Fees for I.F.T.A. can be paid annually ($65.00/carrier vehicle) or $0.06/km to a maximum of $18.00/single trip. Display I.F.T.A. decals on your vehicle, and have a copy of your I.F.T.A. license in the vehicle cab. Fuel – Mileage and fuel logs must be kept, and quarterly reports must be filed. Vehicle Registration – Vehicle must be safetied in Manitoba. Manitoba farmers are fully exempt from registration fees and permits up to 80,000 lbs. (88,000 lbs. in winter months, December – March 7) in Minnesota. Liability Insurance – Manitoba liability insurance minimum is $1 million on tractor trailer units unless carrying dangerous goods. Some states require additional liability insurance on carriers. North Dakota Hay Permits – Over width loads can apply for a permit by contacting the N.D. Highway Patrol, Motor Carrier Division, 701-328-2621.

Permits are available for $10/trip of $50 for season. Loads can then be 12 feet wide, 2 round bales high, or 14 feet high for square bales. Minnesota Hay Permits – These are available by calling 612-405-6000, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

There is an annual fee per hay category of $24.00 U.S. or $15.00 U.S. per trip (good for 5 days). Hay Category (for Minnesota permits): Round Bales maximum width = 11′ 6″ maximum height = 13′ 6″ Large Squares (3′ x 4′ x 7′) maximum width = 8′ 6″ maximum height = up to 15′ Large Squares (4′ x 4′ x 8′) maximum width = up to 12′ maximum height = 13′ 6″ Small Squares legal height, width and length = 13′ 6″, 8′ 6″, and 75′ Other Requirements Flagging – Required on over-dimension loads. Red, orange, or yellow flags – minimum 18 inch square visible on front and rear of load. Round Bales – May only be transported with flat sides facing front to back in Minnesota.

Night Hauling – Round bales may NOT be transported at night. Over-width loads also cannot be hauled at night. Interstate Highways – Transportation of over-width loads on interstate highways is not permitted in Minnesota, however the state will overrule this clause at certain periods during the year. Mirrors – Mirrors must extend past load widths. Strapping – Each row must be side strapped and from front to back. Weight – Maximum gross vehicle weight on U.S. highways is 80,000 lbs. except during winter months (December – March 7).

U.S. Brokers – J.L. Wood – phone (701) 825-6241. Pay commission to broker – $20.00 flat fee per load. Need to know port of entry. Need to know load destination and name of receiver. (If receiver is commercial operation – need tax I.D. number.) Need necessary hay permits. U.S. Customs – There is NO duty on hay entering the U.S.

Bioterrorism Rules Will Affect Hay Growers

(as per e-Hay Weekly, February 2006) The U.S. federal government’s efforts to protect the nation’s food supply will soon impact commercial hay growers in a big way. According to a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) spokesman, farmers who sell hay must comply with record-keeping requirements of the Bioterrorism Act of 2002. The mandated records include, among other things, the field that each load came from, the truck that hauled it, and names and contact information of the driver and the people who loaded and unloaded it. The buyer’s name and address, and the arrival date, must also be on record. The rules are designed to enable FDA to trace any contamination problem back to its source. According to the 2002 law, they apply to “persons that manufacture, process, pack, transport, distribute, receive, hold or import food.”

Transporting in Manitoba

FDA includes animal feeds in its definition of food. Feed manufacturers, grain elevators, alfalfa processors and other entities that process or store farm products must comply. While most farms are exempt, the FDA spokesman confirms that commercial hay growers are not. Operations with 11 or more full-time employees must comply by June 6 of this year; smaller operations have until Dec. 9, 2006

Permit Services enhances public safety and protects highway infrastructure through the issuance of oversize and over dimensional permits and heightens awareness of commercial motor carriers regarding legal weight and dimension issues. The unit also assists in the development and implementation of the annual Spring Road Restriction program.

Policies associated with issuing permits have been developed to improve our services to the trucking industry while continuing to provide a safe and efficient transportation system for all Manitobans.

When moving agricultural equipment (implements of husbandry), the four methods of movement may be as follows:

  1. Towed Behind Farm Tractor
    When a farm tractor is towing an implement of husbandry for farm purposes including repair, current regulations exempt the vehicle from width limitations. However, legal length and height limits apply, and permits for exceeding these are required.
  2. Towed Behind a Licensed Truck or Truck Tractor
    When an implement dealer tows an implement of husbandry to or from a farmer, or when farmers do this themselves, they are not required to have a permit for exceeding the normal allowable width (2.60 m). They are subject to meeting the height and length provisions the Vehicle Weights and Dimensions on Classes of Highways Regulation (M.R 575/88), and obtaining a permit for exceeding these dimensions.Note: Dealer to dealer moves require overwidth permits, and are subject to the standard conditions pertaining to the movement of oversize loads. Escort vehicles are required when a load is over 4.6m in width in these situations.
  3. Self-Propelled
    When a farmer operates a self-propelled implement of husbandry or farm tractor on a highway for agricultural purposes, or repair, it is not required to have a permit for exceeding the normal allowable width (2.60 m). This also applies to movements between dealers and farmers. The move is however subject to length and/or height restrictions, and permits for exceeding these are required.
  4. Towed behind a Truck or Truck Tractor on a Trailer
    When an over-dimensional implement of husbandry is loaded on a trailer and is being moved to or from a farmer, a permit is required. This type of movement is subject to all applicable over-dimensional permit policies. However, there is a concession made respecting the use of escort vehicles. Loads up to 6.10m in width are only required to have escort vehicles when they protrude over the centreline of the road. On a two-lane highway, this escort must lead the truck and load. On a four lane divided highway, if the load protrudes over the centreline of the two lanes, the escort must follow the load. If at any point in time the load protrudes into the adjacent lane, an escort vehicle is required.NOTE: This Web page should be used as a guide only.Information contained in this website is of a general nature only and should not be considered a legal authority. The reader’s interpretation and application of this information shall be the reader’s sole responsibility. It is the responsibility of the motor carrier to consult the regulations for the exact requirements before transporting loads.

Please refer to Manitoba Regulation 575/88as amended, from time to time for specific details on legal size weights and dimensions control.

Escort vehicles must be equipped as per Part IX of the Vehicle Weights and Dimensions on Classes of Highways Regulation (M.R. 575/88)

Please contact Permit Services at (204) 945-3961 for your specific permit requirements.

Questions concerning the lighting requirements and marking requirements on agricultural equipment should be directed to Vehicle Standards and Inspections at (204) 945-4603.

Customs Brokers

Brokers – US customs brokers and Canadian customs brokers serving the United States, Canada & Mexico. (The Manitoba Forage Council does not endorse any brokers listed – please check references).

For More Information

Contact your local Manitoba Agriculture Office:

Ashern (204) 768-2782

Beausejour (204) 268-6094

Carman (204) 745-5610

Souris (204) 483-2153

Dauphin (204) 622-2007